The Next Generation Conference
A quality of leaders is learning to replace themselves with up and coming leaders. GCPA has always been committed to recruiting and bringing new people into the professional world of higher education and student affairs. This conference has had many names over the years, but at its core, the focus has always been helping people explore pathways to the profession. This conference recognizes that people currently in the profession want to explore how to take the next steps in their chosen career in higher education and student affairs. The conference activities continue the tradition of exploration and reflection that are the foundations of this profession.
Exploring the Master’s Track
This track is designed for people who want to explore a career in student affairs and higher education. Primarily, these will be undergraduate students who are looking to attain a Master’s Degree or seek employment after they receive their Bachelor’s Degree. Some participants may be currently employed, but do not have a Master’s Degree.
Exploring the Doctoral Track
This track is designed for participants who already have a Master’s Degree and are considering a Doctoral Degree. Primarily, this group will be current professionals who are working in higher education or a similar field and are interested in pursuing a terminal degree and taking the next step in their career.
Student Affairs Foundations Institute
Sponsored by the Georgia College Personnel Association
Do you work in student affairs without a Master’s degree in student affairs?
Interested in learning the basics of student affairs?
If so, we designed this Institute for you!
What are the Specifics?
- The Student Affairs Foundations Institute’s target audience will be comprised of student affairs practitioners working at post-secondary institutions in Georgia (including two-year colleges, four-year institutions, and technical schools) who have not earned a degree from a student affairs preparation program or those practitioners wanting a refresher.
- The Institute will be led by two student affairs practitioners with considerable, broad-based experiences in student affairs, teaching experience, and terminal degrees in the field.
- The Institute will offer a certificate of completion endorsed by the Georgia College Personnel Association (GCPA) that recognizes voluntarily improved professional readiness in the field.
- Topics covered include: History and Foundations of the Profession, Student Development Theory, Assessment, Budgeting, Legal Issues, Current Topics, Professional and Personal Goal Setting, Leadership Styles, small group discussions and more!
- To complete the certificate, participants must complete 30 total contact hours including:
- 24 in-person hours
- 6 of readings and reading guide preparations prior to the program
- 4 hours through a site visit to an institution different from one’s place of employment prior to the program
Attendance at all sessions is required for successful completion of the program.
Who are the Faulty?
Dr. Alicia Caudill is the Associate Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students at the University of West Georgia. She also holds an appointment as an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the College Student Affairs Administration program at the University of Georgia. firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Andrew Wilson currently serves as the Interim Assistant Vice President and Senior Associate Dean for External Relations in the Division of Campus Life at Emory University in Atlanta, GA. He also holds faculty appointments at Emory University and as an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the College Student Affairs Administration program at the University of Georgia. email@example.com
What’s the Tuition?
Tuition is $350. By accepting a position in the program, participants agree to payment of the tuition. Tuition includes Institute materials, breakfasts, lunches, one dinner, parking and membership in GCPA.
Annual Dr. Paul K. Jahr New Professionals Workshop
Learn more about student affairs in Georgia.
Meet other student affairs professionals from around the state.
Become acquainted with colleagues in similar positions from other institutions.
Campus Box 60
Milledgeville, GA 31061